Investment activity (chronological)
- AirCourts.com: Co-founder. Invested at incorporation. Board member.
- Rows.com: Co-founder. Investor at incorporation. CEO. Board member.
- Replai.io: Seed investor. Advisor. Series-A investor via Accel Starters.
- Frond.com: Seed investor.
- SalesLayer.com: Independent board member. Advisor.
- Super-Agent.com: Investor at incorporation. Chairman. Board member. Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- Maven.pet: Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- Weld.so: Seed investor.
- June.so: Seed investor.
- Vawlt.io: Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- Attio.com: Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- Coverflex.com: Investor in the bridge to Series-A, via Accel Starters. Series-A investor.
- Pipelaunch.com: Pre-Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- Datafordeals.com: Pre-Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- Relive.pt: Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- Oscar-app.com: Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- Smartex.ai: Series-A investor via Accel Starters.
- Cowboy.com: Series-C investor via Crowdfunding. Tiny stake.
- Zaplib.com: Pre-Seed investor (pooled). Company is now closed.
- Puter.com: Pre-Seed investor. Investor in bridge to Seed. And investor in bridge to Seed via Accel Starters.
- Framedrop.co: Pre-Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- Kombo.dev: Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- userled.io: Seed investor via Accel Starters.
- mycelial.com: Safe Investor via Accel Starters.
- mycareforce.co: Accel Starters.
- tably.com: Accel starters.
How I invest
I invest mostly in topics close to my interests: software that helps its users be the hero; generally that means work and productivity software, and in particular the more technically powerful the software, the more I like it. Exceptions to this are startups of people in my direct network who I know well, including some local heroes in Porto (PT) and the Berlin (DE) ecosystems.
Technically, I hold stock in startups via investments and agreements, sometimes both.
- Investments are situations where I directly invested money. I give cash, I get shares. I usually put in $10k, with a few rare exceptions.
- Agreements are situations where I get shares or the economic benefit of shared because of my involvement.
- Scouting agreements reward me for helping a VC find good investments. I don’t actually sign the investment or send them money. Instead, I propose interesting companies and VCs invest. I may get a return if the company is successful. In my Portfolio, “Accel Starters” is a scouting program. The amounts are typically $20-30k.
- Advisor agreements are those that reward me with shares for helping a company or being a Board Member; conditions apply to these shares, including vesting, and I can be “let go” of the agreement. It depends a lot, but I’ve seen advisors get 0.05%-0.4% depending on when they join.
I made my first investments as Humberto (the person) and I now make investments as via my micro investment company (Portotype).
- Domains. I buy a few .com domains for my projects, occasionally sell them too.
- Tech news. I collect newspapers and print publications regarding big technology moments.
- Memes. I collect comic prints, mostly printed, signed and/or numbered memes. They are an inspiration and it’s good to give back to creators.